Friday 24 February 2017

Being Led Astray

I had a wee Google for quotes about being led astray and the one on the right appealed.  Interestingly there were also a few about 'looking for scapegoats'....

Anyway, it's been one of those weeks where I've allowed myself to be diverted from the fairly strong focus I have had, with the distraction of a couple of lovely days away on Islay, being immersed in the wonders of Bowmore and Laphroaig malt whiskies....along with some fine food, and rather more sugar and caffeine than an average week.

It's always a challenge with these events, and while I managed to resist too much alcohol, the sweeties took a bit of a battering.....'calories on "holiday" don't count'.....

And I did manage a couple of short training runs while I was there, much to the amusement of my colleagues (one of these involved going down the wrong track, ending up on a pebble beach in a downpour, and my headtorch packing in....)

Hopefully I can remedy the indulgences, as, although training has been lighter as it's a semi-taper week, it is RACE week......with Glentress marathon tomorrow! 

Last year I ran it in just under 6 hours, and it's a tough old shift (and it was jolly cold, icy etc), with some challenging climbs and descents (1,500m of ascent in total across a 2 lap course).  It will be an interesting test tomorrow, although I'm not sure how my pace will compare.  I don't want to end up broken or needing several days/week recovery, so I'll be taking that into account as I scamper round the trails optimistically.

I'm half looking forward to it, and the chance to catch up with friends....

Race report next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment