Friday 17 February 2017

Go Compare......Don't!


It’s that time of year where everyone is ramping up their training and going all out to post on social media about how good (mostly) or bad it is going.  Strava links appear on Facebook in abundance with ‘check out my run which I did while you were sitting slouched at your desk drinking coffee and trying hard to resist the pile of sweeties in the snack trough!’ and ‘look at me grinning atop the latest peak I have summited’.  (BTW, I know I’m prone to posts of a similar nature!)
I’ve probably blogged about this before, maybe often.  I see a number of people getting caught up in this again this year with ‘OMG, you’re doing loads more miles/ascent/lifting than I am’.
 
Control what you can control.
They are not you.  They will not be running your race for you.  They do not live your life.

'Killer Hill' (Blackford)
Pic by Clark Hamilton
 
They’ll have their own challenges to contend with, and maybe while you are out at the weekend tearing up the heather, they are working, or doing night-shifts, or dealing with their respective families and ‘other commitments’. 
While you’re getting up at the crack of dawn, they are still sleeping off their bottle of wine and fajita-fest from the night before.  They may not have posted for a few weeks as they’ve been sick…but you’ve not noticed that…you just hone in on their ‘come back’ AMAZING jaunt up Conic Hill, and it puts the fear right into you.
Don’t do it.  Focus on being a better you.  Fit what you can, as best you can, into your life.  Plan and prepare (training and food)!  If you’re hurt or under-the-weather, think about what else you can do instead of your ‘usual’ (be that 30, 40 or 100 miles a week).  Don’t fight through viruses that will wipe you out for weeks or months.

Stay positive and focused! Adapt, change, deliver!

1 comment:

  1. great timing I'm in that 'panic' mode as I've been floored for 2 weeks and need to get back out but don't think am up to what I should be doing - nice wee reminder ta x

    ReplyDelete